How do I make an application for a school place?

Please read the Admission Arrangements document on the ‘Policies and Documents’ page of the website.  There is also a map on this page to assist you in knowing whether you fall within our catchment area.


What time does school start?

To help out families with drop off, we have a ‘soft start’ to the  day.  Doors open at 8.35am and all children should be in school by 8.50am for registration at 8.55am.  


Do you have before school care?

Yes, we have a Breakfast Club which runs each day from 8.00-8.35am.  We ask that your child arrives no later than 8.20am if they wish to have breakfast.  You will need to sign your child up for Breakfast Club and this should be done via the School Office. 


Can I park on the premises?

No.  Unfortunately, there is no parking available for parents and carers.  Please park your car away from the school entrances and never park on the yellow zig-zag lines because the area outside school becomes congested and it is then unsafe for children arriving and leaving school.


Can my child cycle to school?

Yes, your child can cycle if they are accompanied by an adult. If you wish your child to cycle on their own we need a permission letter from the parent with parental responsibility. A secure cycle rack is provided on site.


Do you have after school clubs?

Yes.  We have a range of after school clubs running on different days.  These clubs run from 3.00pm to 4.00/4.15pm.  There is also a pick-up from Monken Hadley School for the LBL After School Club held at Church House, just a few minutes away from the school, until 6.00pm each day. 


What should I do if my child is not well?

If your child is too unwell to attend school then they should be kept at home.  If you are unsure whether your child will be able to cope at school due to illness, please bring them into school and have a word with a member of staff so that we can be alerted to any potential difficulties.  We are always happy to give you a call should your child’s health deteriorate during the day.  Please telephone the school to let us know why your child is absent.


Are children given homework?

Yes.  Depending upon your child’s age, different amounts of homework are set e.g. Maths activities, spellings to learn or a topic to research.


Do you have a School Council?

Yes.  Monken Hadley CE School has its own School Council. In order to be elected for the School Council, the councillors have to prepare a speech saying the sort of things they would do if they were elected for their term of office which is half a year.  The councillors meet once a month and a member of staff is present. The first School Council of the new term of office nominates a chairperson and a secretary. As well as putting forward the views of the children in their class, the councillors also help with other things in the school, for example, when we chose the names of the classes, the councillors organised the voting.


What if my child has special needs?

We can meet a variety of special needs in school.   Please discuss your child’s needs with the teacher.  The Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) will be happy to meet with you to discuss specific concerns.


What if my child has English as an additional language (EAL)?

We have some children in our school who are in the early stages of learning English.  Your child will be given an English assessment by a qualified EAL assessor and areas to work on will be identified.


When can I talk to the teachers?

Teachers are busy settling their classes first thing in the morning and can only receive the briefest of messages at that time.  They are more easily available at the end of the day when they have dismissed their classes.  Teachers are happy to make appointments to see you if you would like a longer chat.   


Is drinking water available?

Water is available in the dining hall.  Children are also permitted to bring water into school to drink in the classroom during the day.  This water should be in a clear plastic container that has a securely fitting lid.   It should be labelled clearly with your child’s name.  


What happens at lunchtime?

A school meal is available which costs £2.15 a day.  Payment for the week should be made in advance using the Online payment facility.  Cancellation of school dinners should be made at least half a term in advance.  Children can bring in packed lunches which are also eaten in the dining hall.  We encourage healthy eating and expect parents to choose healthily when creating a packed lunch.


Can I get free school meals?

If you think that your child is entitled to free school meals, please speak to the Office Administrator, Mrs Scott.