History & Values

Our school is built on the edge of the beautiful Monken Hadley Common at the northern tip of the London Borough of Barnet.  Monks founded Monken Hadley in the 13th century and a school was built by the Church of England in partnership with the government in 1832. The Common leads to Hadley Woods which used to be part of Enfield Chase. Royalty hunted here and in 1777 King George the 3rd passed an act of parliament giving the villagers local farming rights.
   
From the small one-class beginning, this small school has grown so that now there are 150 children housed in 5 classes. Increasingly diverse in culture, the school represents the richly varied community in High Barnet and the surrounding area. The school enjoys a strong partnership with the parish church of St Mary the Virgin and the school church service is held there every week. The school badge features our church tower and its famous 'cresset beacon'.

 

SCHOOL VALUES STATEMENT

          Seek what is good, treasure what is true, do what is right.

 

MISSION STATEMENT

          To nurture children so that they enjoy learning;

          To foster a Christian school;

          To keep everyone safe;

          To provide a wide range of learning activities;

          To develop confident, moral citizens.

 

SCHOOL PRAYER

          God of Light and Love,

          You are the Giver of all that is good,

          the Teacher of all that is true,

          and the Lord who will make all things right:

          teach us to seek what is good, treasure what is true and do what is right

          that we and all your creation may flourish and live together in peace,

          through Jesus Christ our Lord.

          Amen.

 

ETHOS

          We are committed to including children and staff from a rich variety of backgrounds, faith, social circumstances and ability.